Skip to content

Posts from the ‘The Line’ Category

2
Dec

Auburn Grad To Win $50K On $100 Bet If Tigers Win BCS Title

With the Auburn Tigers finishing 3-9 last year, there may have been only one fan brave enough to bet on his team winning a national championship this season.

In January with 500-1 odds, Auburn graduate Mark Skiba placed a $100 bet on his alma mater to win this year’s BCS title game. 11 months later, Skiba stands to win $50,000 if the Tigers can pull it off.

Not a bad return on investment if you ask me.

Advertisements
30
Sep

The Broncos are the biggest favorites in NFL history for their game week 6

The Denver Broncos, the clear-cut best team in the NFL so far, are hosting the Jacksonville Jaguars, the clear-cut worst team in the NFL so far, two Sundays from now, in Week 6 “action.”

You’d probably guess the Broncos are favored by 1,300 points. You’re wrong!

They’re “only” 28-point favorites. That could change, since this is an early line, but it’s hard to see it going down much. And, no, I’m not betting on the Jaguars. This would be the largest recorded spread in NFL history, and it’s probably somewhat similar to what the point spread would be if Alabama played Jacksonville on a neutral field. (The Broncos would be favored by a lot more than 28, at home, over the Crimson Tide.) I doubt it will climb higher than 29, but, hey, we’ll see how the market reacts.

So, what are the odds of Jacksonville winning?

26
Sep

Thursday Night Football betting

San Francisco 49ers -3.5 at St. Louis Rams

ABOUT THE 49ERS (1-2, 1-2 ATS): Losing in Seattle in Week 2 wasn’t a surprise for San Francisco, but getting bulldozed by the Colts on both sides of the ball sent shock waves through the league. Colin Kaepernick turned in a breathtaking performance by throwing for 412 yards in the season opener but has tossed four interceptions and been limited to a combined 277 yards while leading the 49ers to only 10 points in the past two weeks. The absence of tight end Vernon Davis (hamstring) hurt versus the Colts, while the normally stout defense saw All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis exit Sunday’s game with a groin injury.

ABOUT THE RAMS (1-2, 0-3 ATS): 
St. Louis posted a gritty comeback victory over Arizona in its season opener but has fallen behind by at least 21 points in back-to-back road losses to Atlanta and Dallas. Quarterback Sam Bradford threw for a season-low 240 yards and was sacked six times against the Cowboys while receiving little help from a ground game that saw starting running back Daryl Richardson play only one snap due to a foot injury. Rookie wideout Tavon Austin, the team’s first-round draft pick, has six receptions in each of the first three games but is averaging only 6.6 yards per catch.

TRENDS:

* Home team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
* Under is 5-2 in the last seven meetings in St. Louis..
* 49ers are 1-5 ATS in their last six meetings.
* Rams are 7-1 ATS in their last eight vs. NFC West.

With all that said I’m riding the 49ers. This is a must win game for them. A 1-3 hole would be very difficult for them to crawl out of. 

5
Aug

The Odds Say That Johnny Football Won’t Play In Week 1, And Might Not Play At All This Year

As everyone knows, Johnny Manziel is under NCAA investigation for getting “five figures” of dollars for selling autographs. If the report is true, Johnny Football will almost assuredly be Johnny Suspended, probably for a longer duration than were A.J. Green and the Ohio State players that committed similar, less lucrative violations in recent years.

You can bet on this sort of thing (if you have inside info, or if you’re stupid and like guessing unpredictable events), which means there are odds on Johnny getting suspended. Via 5dimes:

his means that the market thinks that:

There is a 68% chance Johnny doesn’t play in Texas A&M’s first game, and a 32% chance he does.

And: there is a 65% chance he plays in any game this year, and 35% chance he doesn’t.

If Johnny doesn’t play in Game 1, he’s probably not playing against Alabama, because that’s Game 3, and a two-game suspension would be surprisingly small. So, let’s all hope this isn’t true, because if some stupid signatures robbed us from another ‘Bama-Johnny epic, we’ll be very angry at you, NCAA, Johnny’s culpability aside.

This whole thing sucks for everyone except Nick Saban and Alabama fans, which is a sad, recurring scenario.

3
Jun

Report: Floyd Mayweather Places $5.9 Million Bet on the Heat -7

If this is correct, that is an insane of amount of money, even for Mayweather to bet on a basketball game, but it does make watching it more intriguing.

If you aren’t a gambler laying the over on -7 just means that the Heat can’t just win for Mayweather to win his bet, they have to beat the Pacers by 7 or more points.  If Heat win by more than 7, Mayweather will win approximately $5.3 million.

I doubt Floyd will even care if he loses because he is set to make $50 million fighting Canelo Alvarez.

7
May

How To Win Some Money Tonight Gambling

Pacers at Knicks (-6)

The Pacers won Game 1 outright as 5-point underdogs. People are presumably expecting better performances for Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith (combined 14-for-43 shooting), which is reasonable.

Some interesting facts: The Knicks are 0-5 all-time when losing Game 1 of a series at home. The last time they lost a Game 1 at home was to the Pacers in the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals.

  • Pacers are 9-4 ATS in the last 13 meetings in New York.
  • Underdog is 13-6 ATS in the last 19 meetings.
  • Pacers are 5-2 ATS in their last seven games overall.
  • Knicks are 11-4 ATS in their last 15 home games

Prediction: I don’t see the Knicks losing this game. Falling down 0-2 and heading back to Indiana would be all see wrote. Expect a spirited effort from the Knicks in what should be a double-digit win.
Read more »

6
May

How To Win Some Money Tonight Gambling

Bulls at Heat (-12)

The Heat are just 9-14 ATS as double-digit chalk this season but that hasn’t scared away the betting public, with more than 65 percent of the action on the home favorites.

The Bulls are without Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich, so the question on everyone’s mind is how will they score?

Prediction: The Bulls are a scrappy bunch and 12 points is high. The Heat are well rested and are the far better team on paper. However, I am taking the Bulls +12. Conventional wisdom says pick the Heat, but this Bulls team has too much pride to be blown out. I like the Heat to win, but closer than Vegas thinks. Read more »

9
Sep

Week One NFL Bets

By: Jared Ramos

(Home team in caps)

BEARS (-10) vs Colts

Jay Cutler to Brandon Marshall will be too much for a revamped Colts defense. I liked what I saw from Andrew Luck in the preseason, but this is the Chicago Bears and Julius Peppers. Expect the Bears to jump out to an early lead and run the ball with Matt Forte in the second half.
Read more »

3
Sep

Bet Of The Day: Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech

By: Jared Ramos

Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech (-7, 49)

The 16th ranked Hokies enter this game favored by a touchdown and for good reason. Virginia Tech has won four of the past five meetings between these two schools. They will also look to make it nine consecutive seasons of 10 or more wins in a season.

Junior quarterback Logan Thomas will power the Hokies in this matchup. Last season Thomas threw for 19 touchdowns and ran for another 11. Redshirt freshman Michael Holmes will replace David Wilson as the starting running. Holmes has some big shoes to fill as Wilson was the ACC Player of the Year last season. On defense the Hokies return the nucleus  of what was the 10th ranked defense last year. Virginia Tech will need that experience as Georgia Tech rushed for 316 yards per game last season, second-best nationally.

Prediction: Virginia Tech 24, Georgia Tech 13. While Georgia Tech has a potent rushing attack Virginia Tech has had all summer to prepare for it. Logan Thomas has now had a full season under him as a starting quarterback. I expect him to grow up a lot this season for Frank Beamer. At home and with a full summer to prepare for Georgia Tech’s triple option, I just don’t see Virginia Tech losing this game.

1
May

Clippers Bet May Have Been The Bet Of The Century

By: Jared Ramos

Barstool Sports- So, a couple nights, I was watching the Clippers get annihilated into the 4th quarter by the Grizzlies. I checked the Live Wagering option on my bookies website, and saw an insane money line. The Grizzles were up 27 at this point with about 8 minutes to play. You could bet that the Clippers would win the game, 100 dollars down to win $55,555. As a joke, my boy put down 25 dollars to win close to thirteen grand. After a 3 pointer immediately after that by the Clippers, he put another 50 on it, for another 27k. Well, before my very eyes, the Clippers fucking won. Off 75 dollars my friend made $40,000 in cash.

Un-fucking-believable. He’s graduating next week so this is probably one of the greatest things that could have ever happened to him.

Alex

First off the odds of this kid actually get all of his money are about as good as the Clippers coming back from 27 points with less than nine minutes to go in the fourth. Secondly who in their right mind even makes this bet? There is no way that anyone would bet $75 when a team is down 24 points with eight minutes to play. And if they do then they are idiots and should never gamble.